Saturday, July 11, 2015

Bloom's Taxonomy Evaluation

This class has helped me write more fluidly. It's difficult to gauge, though, where I am currently performing on the Bloom's Taxonomy chart. There are aspects of my writing, such as grammar and spelling, which have long been at the highest level. Then there are others which have increased over the course of the semester, like being able to write quickly, without pausing to over analyze what I've written. I will admit; there's still a lot of work required in this department. Writing on the blog consistently the past couple weeks has helped mitigate some of the issues.

Knowledge. The ability to remember basic concepts, such as grammar, spelling, and punctuation are among the first skills learned as a child in school. Eventually more difficult words and grammatical concepts are thrown at us, but it still comes down to rudimentary knowledge.

Comprehension. This ties in very closely with knowledge. Sadly enough, it appears many Americans don't know how to use grammar or punctuation. But since that's not my case, I'll move on.

Application. Here's where it start getting into a bit of grey area when it comes to diagnosing my skill level. As stated before, the application of grammar has never been an issue of mine. It's the applying of words through writing to get my point across which has always been a weak point for me. Even when the thoughts flow seamlessly, I critique every word until there's nothing to write. Which brings us to the next category...

Analysis. I'm either extremely good or extremely bad at analyzing, depending on how that's measured. I can analyze any writing to pieces (or any other thing, for that matter). So my ability to analyze isn't lacking. But that analysis often causes paralysis, as the saying goes. And anything that debilitates creative writing juices can't be good.
I feel this is the biggest area in which this course has helped this semester. The free-writing exercises were good practice for me, so I couldn't overthink every word and sentence I wrote.

Synthesis. This seems to me a heavier version of Application, though perhaps I'm misreading it. That being the case, I don't know if I can knowledgeably comment on this category.

Evaluation. This category falls completely into the area of subjectivity. Being what is traditionally known as left-brained, I find this level of learning difficult to master. How far from the core concepts of a paragraph must a sentence stray before meriting separation? A question like this could cause for much deliberation, drastically slowing fluidity of thought. This applies both to my writing, as well as others'. When critiquing the essays of my Writing Group partners this week, I had to put aside potential differences in writing style. With that done, I was still able to observe some areas in which I thought could use some improvement. As the saying goes, "practice makes perfect." Though perfection at something as individual as writing can be difficult to quantify, I do believe I have made progress in the area of evaluation.

2 comments:

  1. Kristian - Very nice reflection. As you journey in academia you will sometimes finding yourself having to push your way up the ladder when coursework wants to remain on the low rungs. This is what a good college student practices. I know that you will do this. ~Ms. A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. A - This semester has helped greatly with my writing. Thanks for having confidence in me. And thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete