Friday, July 17, 2015

Summer School

Before this semester, I'd never had a summer class before. But it always seemed to me that taking summer classes made a lot of sense, because it could lead to an accelerated graduation date, or at least an easier class load later on when the classes are more difficult.

Now that I'm just one week shy of completing a 12 credit hour summer semester, I can say from experience that summer classes are an excellent option for someone that is willing to put in the time. Perhaps that tone will change over the next week of finals, but a crammed week of homework assignments leading up to the end is par for the course for any semester (at least for me, anyway).

The classes I took this summer consisted of my first online class. This made it really nice for me, as I typically had Physics or Calculus homework or tests during the week. But the homework for the online class, English 101, was mostly due over the weekends. Now, it's likely that I would have turned in the homework as late as I did even had I no other classes, just because that's how I roll!
If someone were considering taking summer classes, I'd suggest an online class because of how flexible the classes typically are. Early in the semester I went to Mexico for 10 days. My Physics professor allowed me to take the time off class, though I know if it'd been a regular semester he likely wouldn't have. Of course, if it'd been a regular semester, then 10 days wouldn't have mattered in the class as much (6 hours of Physics per week vs. 12 in summer). But as long as permission is granted before the semester starts, as I got, then taking off shouldn't be a big issue.

In summary, if anyone were to ask me what I thought about summer classes I'd say, if you want to make future semesters easier, and don't care about spending time in class during a couple summer months, then you should seriously consider summer classes!

2 comments:

  1. I have found that online classes have their challenges, but overall are a good fit for me. This summer I have taken my first online classes and have enjoyed them. You are correct that one has to put the time in, but as long as you pace yourself it can work. I am glad that I am not the only one who thinks this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found that online classes have their challenges, but overall are a good fit for me. This summer I have taken my first online classes and have enjoyed them. You are correct that one has to put the time in, but as long as you pace yourself it can work. I am glad that I am not the only one who thinks this.

    ReplyDelete