Thursday, July 2, 2015

This I believe Essay - Kristian Hansen

     I believe that happiness is a state of mind. So often we think that happiness is attained by possessing more things - by having a nicer car or getting a better job. But once we've had the car for a couple weeks, or we see the next highest paying job position, we fall right back into the same unhappiness caused by not having enough possessions. I believe it's important to not let material things dictate our happiness, but rather, to have a positive attitude regardless of what comes our way.
     Growing up in a poor family (by American standards), my siblings and I had lots of fun. We'd bike all over town, play with legos non-stop, and do normal kid stuff. We didn't have cell phones to distract from human interaction, or to make us jealous because we saw our friends' new toys via FB. We were content with what we had.
Kids today seem to be much less content than kids a generation ago. I believe this has largely to do with the introduction to cell phones and computers, which take away the component of human interaction. To me, this shows that, not only do money or possessions not always buy happiness, but they can often have the exact opposite result.
A recent experience I had with this is when I went down to Mexico on a mission's trip. The area of Mexico I was in is very destitute, with most of the people living in small rudely constructed shacks. Yet, for the most part, the children were so joyful. It didn't matter that they wore years-old clothes that were likely donated by Americans, or that they were only fed one main meal a day... they were happy with what they had.
     When I was in my late teens, I was having a difficult time accepting my personality. When with a group of my friends, I would always be one of the quieter ones. I struggled with the desire to be more outspoken for years, before deciding to just let it go and be happy with the way God made me. Over the course of my young 20's, I became more and more outgoing. I still don't know if that change came about by merely just accepting myself for who I was, or if there were some other factors involved. But what I do know is that, by changing my mindset regarding my introvertness, it allowed me to be content with who I was. And that's when my personality started to change - when I stopped worrying as much about what other people thought, and most importantly, what I thought about myself.
     After being in the workforce for 10 years, I started 2014 without a job. I'd wasted away much of my young to mid 20's playing sports and hanging out with friends. Although I'd had a great time during those years, I hadn't been working towards a career. The first few months of my unemployment were a low-point for me, as I was caught up in how little I'd accomplished over the previous 10 years. This was only made worse by comparing my current situation to my twin, who'd already gotten married, had two children, and had a successful career.
By the time April or May came around, I'd decided that I would pursue a degree in Mechanical Engineering. There were times when I still found myself comparing to my brother, or other people I knew. But I was finally on a path with my life that I could be proud of.
     There are still times when I struggle comparing with other people. That struggle will probably never completely go away. But it's my choice whether or not I get caught up in self-pity. I choose instead to be happy with my position in life, and I hope you're doing the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment