Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Internet Speed

Not even 20 years ago, this wouldn't have been a concern for most people in America. It probably still isn't today, though for different reasons. Today, most people have access to very quick internet speeds for only a small monthly fee. But for people that live in the country, like my parents, internet connectivity can be a big issue. My parents' house isn't even technically in the country, as it's only 5 minutes from the intersection of I-44 and Hwy 65. Since we live in a valley, though, that causes internet connection to be very slow at times, and sometimes to not work altogether.

My dad is a self-employed insurance salesman, and works a lot from home on his computer. Spotty internet service makes his life more difficult, as it slows him down drastically (it really is quite slow overall). The same can be said for me, as I often study at home after getting back from school in the evenings.

The internet has seemingly gotten worse of late, causing several of us to turn off wi-fi on our phones when we're home. This, in turn, has cause issues with our phone plan. We are on a Verizon family plan, on which we're limited to 5 gigabytes of data per month. This billing cycle we've already used over 90%, though there are still 8 days remaining. We've obviously made corrections so we don't continue on this course, but if it weren't for our slow internet, we wouldn't be having this issue.

We had a few internet companies come out this past week, to see if they could find a remedy. Basically, in order for satellite to work well, there has to be direct line of sight to a tower. And since we live in a valley, that's hard to get. As of now, the internet providers have all said that it would cost an exorbitant amount of money to get fast internet at the house, so I guess we'll just suck it up for now.

So I suppose if you're ever looking for a house in the country, make sure you check the internet connection. In my parents' previous house their internet was fast, but cell phone reception was bad. They just can't win!

2 comments:

  1. I hear you on internet speeds Kristian. My house is plagued with internet dropouts and no service. It is amazing to me with the technology that we have, we can't reliably get internet in lower lying areas. I have switch providers and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on internet speeds Kristian. My house is plagued with internet dropouts and no service. It is amazing to me with the technology that we have, we can't reliably get internet in lower lying areas. I have switch providers and everything.

    ReplyDelete