Saturday, July 18, 2015

Faroe Islands (Part 2)

After my grandpa passed away in 01', my dad and I went back there. Since there were 7 kids by that time, my dad could only afford to bring one of us with him. Since I was named after his dad, Kristian, I was the lucky one that got to go.
This trip wasn't as happy as the other times, as it was obviously focused on my grandpa's funeral. Like before, there was a lot of visiting of relatives (my dad seems to be related to half the people in the Faroes). There were a few things I did this time that I didn't do before, like go watch a national football (soccer) game. I still remember this really cute girl who I was flirting with. A few days later my dad and I were on board Logos II, a large boat visiting the islands, and there she was again. I remember being very happy about seeing here again, but also remember thinking just how small these islands were if I could see the same person twice in a week at random locations.

The Faroes have changed drastically since I went there last. Of course, technology is something that has advanced drastically since then. Everyone there seems to have a phone by the time they're 13.
There are also some new underwater tunnels, in addition to the numerous mountain tunnels from before. These two new tunnels connect the airport island to the main island where the capital is located. The other tunnel connects from nearby my dad's home village to the second largest village on the islands.

Although we've talked about going back over the past decade, there's always been the financial issue of bringing 10+ people to the Faroes (which is easily $1K+/person). But my dad proposed a plan a few weeks that could allow us to go next summer. His mother is in her upper 70's, so he'd like to go back as a family one more time before she passes. She's been here several times over the years, most recently last year with my dad's younger brother and his family.
I really hope we can go as a family next year, though if it doesn't happen, I'll likely go with my future wife and family someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment