Wednesday, July 8, 2015

What To Do Without Electricity

Writing Prompt #7

Electricity is a recent discovery. Think of 6 things to do when there's no power.

1. Interact with people in person. This is an obvious one, but very important, which is why I put it first. I despise when someone pulls out their phone during a party or when out to eat. As if checking one's FB newsfeed is more important than being in the present. This is why I often leave my phone in my car when I'm at places, or at the very least, put it on silent so I'm not constantly interrupted by texts or other alerts.

2. Read a book. I feel disingenuous writing this, as I can count on one finger how many books I've read in the past 15 years. Perhaps if it weren't for the distraction of electricity powered devices, I would have read more!

3. Play sports. I wish more Americans would do this, as it would help with the health issues many people have. Personally, having a phone has probably helped me play more sports during my life, as I constantly get invites to go play sports somewhere.

4. Learn a new skill. This could be anything from an playing an instrument to woodworking to knitting.

5. Ride a bike. My siblings and I biked all over Springfield when we were younger, something that has been substituted by playing video games, either by console, computer, or phone.

6. Tidy/clean. I put this last, as it's one of my least favorite things to do. Even though I enjoy a cleaner car or room environment than the alternative, I still often will choose to do something on my computer or phone over tidying up. Maybe someday when I'm married that will change!

If you were to go back 150 years in time, you'd find no one would have a problem answering this question. We're much too reliant on electricity this day and age, when this is can be a legitimate question.

I only chose to list 6 things, as my recent entries have been plenty long (600+ words).

4 comments:

  1. I can only remember the electricity going out and being off for more than an hour only once, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen more. Thinking back to that time I can remember my father telling me not to use up the batteries on my game boy all at once and to help him find candles. I hadn't given it much thought until now, but how would you cook? Ramen noodles over a candle light "stove"? Interesting choices, I enjoyed reading them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan, I would enjoy reading a your list of 6 things to do with no electricity. It's exciting to see our differences, similarities, and experiences. On top of that, we might get some new ideas for the next time the power goes out.

      Delete
    2. I remember during one of the bad ice storms we had 8 years ago, we had like 50 candles on our dining room table for warmth. My youngest sister was only a few weeks old at the time, so the timing wasn't the greatest. I suppose I was imagining that it would be fall weather, so heating or a/c wouldn't be necessary. And I don't get hungry, so food wouldn't be either. :)

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed this post also. I liked the numbered format, and the description by each one. That was easy to read, and kept the reader on task. We live on a small hobby farm, when the power goes out, many things have to happen to keep everything-and everyone-safe. My six things to do without electricity would be entirely different. Age, hobbies, and place of residence all contribute to this difference. I found reading about those differences fascinating. So much so that it has encouraged me to use this subject as a blog topic. Once again - Good Job!

    ReplyDelete